My attempt at honesty in motherhood

Monday, June 29, 2009

Henry DeTamble, Please Time Travel Out of My Head

I recently finished reading a book called The Time Traveler's Wife.  Wow.

This is a high quality book.  I cannot stop thinking about it.  The characters are all over my brain.  The story is about a man named Henry DeTamble who is a time traveler.  He meets a girl, Clare Abshire, and their fates become entwined.  This is a creative, thoughtful, tragic, and fantastic love story.  Above all, it's an amazing love story.  It's a testament to love conquering all, even time.

I think that one measure of a good book is what it makes you think about.  This book has left my brain spinning.  I am a believer in fate, destiny.  Henry DeTamble is as well.  He learns that no matter what he does in his time travels, he cannot change the future.  What will be will be.  I think that we all have our own free will, well can all make our own choices.  But some things are meant to be, if you will.  Love is one of those things.  Call me a romantic.  I believe in soul mates.  After reading The Time Traveler's Wife, I am reminded of how truly lucky I am.  I too have found my soul mate.  Sigh...

But I'm also left thinking about death.  How quickly life can change and time can turn on us.  Henry knows things that will happen.  He knows when he will die.  Would you want to know?  Would you want to know when your spouse/SO is going to die?  I have thought about this way too much (because of this book) and have come to believe that I would not want to know.  I think that the dread would be too much.  I guess that the lesson from this should be that death can come at any time and that we should live like it's our last day on earth every day.

I highly recommend this book.  There's swearing and a lot of sex, so it might not be for some of you who like it clean, but the themes are fascinating.  The writing is very good and very interesting because it takes place over so many days and years all at the same time.  This is one of the best love stories I've ever read.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book! Read it years ago & still remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading this and liked it a lot. It did have too much sex and swearing for me, especially since I was listening to it as an audiobook, and it's a lot harder to skip or tune out parts you are listening to! ;) But it is so compelling!

    ReplyDelete