I know that realistically all I can do is teach them right and wrong, and hope that they make the right decisions. But it's so much more complicated than that! What about when somebody is mean to them? What about when they are put in a situation where they don't know what to do? What about peer pressure? Ack--I think I'm going to vomit. Nate is so small. I worry so much about him getting bullied. He never has and he has tons of friends, but I am always so concerned about him getting picked on. It's like the mama bear in me wants to teach him to threaten kids and punch them in the nose if they are mean to him, but I know that's not right. No, seriously, I know that's not right. But I don't want him to be the kid who gets walked all over either because his mom always told him to tell a teacher. It's such a fine line to walk. I'm so grateful he's been good friends with everybody thus far.
Then there's Abbie. Part of me says I don't need to worry at all because she's tough as nails, but man, she's a girl. Girls are MEAN. Boys bully. But when they have a problem, they get it off their chests and then it's done. Girls talk behind each other's backs and they gang up on each other and they pick sides. Girls are vicious. That terrifies me. I know that Abbie could handle herself in a fight. Heck, she could get Nate's back in a fight. But against a pack of girls? That might leave me crying in the hallway. How do you protect them from that?
This is tough stuff. Mothering is tough stuff. Then you throw in the thought of other kids being mean to your kids?? To be perfectly honest, I've had several nightmares about this in the past week. To be perfectly honest again, the dreams involved me screaming at an 11 year old for being "not nice" to Nate. What are the boundaries? When do I step in? Can I discipline somebody else's child when they are clearly failing to do so?
I better stop now and have some hot chocolate to calm myself down. My heart is racing and my adrenaline is pumping. One more week of school before summer break...
Oh, I hate having those angry, protective feelings. Yeah... when is it okay to discipline other people's kids? I think you CAN stop them from being mean to your kids, and do so appropriately. When your kid is involved and your there at the moment, I think intervention is less offensive to other parents & onlookers.
ReplyDeleteHowever, it's sweet to read about how friendly and well-liked your sweet boy is. Hopefully you won't have many tricky confrontations. And I hear what you say about girls being mean, but I am hopeful about that, too. I remember doing a few really mean things, but I was mostly nice. And I don't remember kids being mean to me, even though I got weirder as I got older!
Maybe I should withhold my opinion for a few more years, say, when Gideon is making friends, or when I have a daughter!
I have been thinking a lot about this lately. IT seems that Hayden generally kind and doesn't "fight back" or tell the teacher. I worry about him being bullied when he starts kindergarten. I have noticed weird behaviors that he has picked up at school. I hate that. IT's like you teach good and then they go out in the world and get bombarded with bad. I wish I had an answer to all these fears myself. Let me know if you come up with something!
ReplyDeleteI totally know how you feel, I feel the exact same way! I mean, it makes me so sad when I see Rylee trying to play with other kids (older kids) and then they run away. It's natural though, those kids don't want to play with a little girl when they are running around playing their own games, but at the same time this completely overprotective parent in me just wants to tell them to be nice and let her play also (I won't though, of course!)
ReplyDeleteBut yeah, it's hard, you just want to protect your kids and make sure they don't ever get hurt physically or emotionally. But I do think those experiences help us grow as people and so I just hope that as long as we can teach our children good values and principles and how to treat others, that when those inevitable and painful experiences happen, they will be able to learn and grow and perhaps become more compassionate because of them. I dunno... I'm just babbling...but I know how you feel! :)
I think it's totally appropriate to step in and defend your child from another child, especially if the other parents are ignoring it. Your kids sound like such fun little people, I wish I'd gotten to know them better when we lived by you guys!
ReplyDeleteThat is so funny because I just started seriously thinking about this same thing with Caden because he was on a playground with some older kids and he was getting in their way and so one of them was kinda saying some not nice things to him and it broke my heart!!! It kinda took me back to grade school and all those times where your feelings got hurt! It is so terrible and I think as a mother there is NO WAY around it...I don't think it will get any easier and definitely won't go away anytime soon...But I have to say, I'm not sure the teaching them to punch mean kids in the face is so wrong...KIDDING...(c:
ReplyDeleteWhen Luke was outside running around with the neighborhood kids last night I had a similar panic.
ReplyDeleteBeing a mother is so consuming. I am trying (unsuccessfully) not to borrow trouble. I am trying to only worry about the now and what we are actually dealing with. I can drive myself batty if I let my mind go.
You are doing a great job. Nate and Abbie are blessed to have you looking out for them.