What is it about just-before-dinnertime that makes my children crazy? I honestly dread the time of day when I know I need to be in the kitchen cooking dinner because I know that, no matter how good our day was until that point, all hell is going to break loose. I really do enjoy cooking, but not when the baby is screaming and won't let me put him down, Abbie is "so bored" because "there's nothing to do," and Nate has disappeared to his bed or the basement with a book or legos, thus fueling Abbie's complaining because he won't play with her.
Sometimes a camp-out in the kitchen is necessary. Sleeping bags, books and a nice big spoon for Noah. Thank goodness for big sisters.
i am totally with you. i've tried to do quiet time/reading time while i'm making dinner, and it's hit and miss. also - samiyah can't read and gets bored after a book or two is read to her and comes straight into the kitchen to trip me up. and somehow arguments are always saved right as i get into the kitchen. what's up with all this dinner mayhem?! ;)
ReplyDeleteI'll have to try this one. I too love cooking, but I too hate that time right before dinner.
ReplyDelete