My attempt at honesty in motherhood

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Feliz Dia de Las Madres

My Mother's Day started at ~6:45AM with the kids bringing me Lucky Charms in bed. What a treat! (I kept reminding myself that they didn't know what time it was.) I was then escorted out to the living room to find a beautiful new double jogging stroller! I'm so excited--I took it (with kids) out for a light run today and loved it. I'm hoping that this will motivate me even more to exercise everyday and lose this weight once and for all. We went to church where I got a mango (yum!) and cards from the kids made in Nursery and Primary. It was a good day and I am writing early because I have been relieved of bedtime duties tonight so that I can relax (the best gift of all).

Today has made me think more and more about being a mom. I know, is it really possible for me to ponder this anymore? Today I feel that motherhood is a blessing. I am reminded, by a friend, of those who are not able to have children in this life. I am reminded that Alan and I were told that we would never be able to have children. I am reminded of those who don't find themselves in life situations where having a baby is possible. I am reminded of the two babies I miscarried between Abbie and Nate. I am reminded of the love that I have grown to have for my children. It wasn't instantaneous. I didn't have that moment that some women talk about. For me, it took time. It took treating my Postpartum Depression (with both Nate and Abbie). It took learning about them and learning about myself. There are still days that I wonder if I love them enough--If I love them like I'm supposed to. There are days where I wonder if I loved them more, would they be better behaved? (I think we all have those days.) It is then that I am reminded of God. He loves us so immensely, so perfectly--yet we still "misbehave." If God's children aren't perfect, how can I expect myself to have perfect children. Even Mary lost Jesus for 3 days when he was a child! I have hope! My conclusion this Mother's day is that being a mother is wonderful, rewarding, fulfilling and joyful. But it is also horrible, trying, draining and hard. We just do what we can do.

Happy Mother's Day.

Hauling wood for our new play structure (check out Abbie in the background)




Our new stroller!

After church today

My babies

2 comments:

  1. Lucky!!! I love your jogging stroller! And you have the cutest kids ever, hands down. Where did you get Abbie's dress and Nate's shirt? They look so grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have very attractive children, I must say! Watch out for Nate...the ladies will line up. Cuuuuuute!

    ReplyDelete